Ah, I see! Multiple conversions are always a problem. Detail gets lost, stuff gets corrupted, yada, yada. I would say off the top of my head that something happened in the conversion process to prevent Finale from reading it. I would bet that Encore would have trouble opening it too, but that might something to try in your quest to get the darned thing to open.

I would ask for the original file to always be included so that you have other paths to try, like a Score to MusicXML converter (I have heard they exist, and at least MusicXML is a growing, supported file type.) If anyone else here knows what converters are available, please speak up.

In all cases, you should ask for a PDF or scan of the original to be included so that you know what it is supposed to look like. Something ALWAYS screws up in these conversions.

Christopher