On Sep 5, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Where SOCAN falls short is radio -- like ASCAP/BMI, they don't collect the entire playlists from radio stations -- even though this would be trivialy easy for them to do in this digital age. (My publicist receives radio logs from almost every station that programs my music.) Instead, they survey for 3 to 4 days A YEAR and "extrapolate" from that. It's absurd.

Heh, heh! Every six or eight years one of my pieces gets sampled in a radio survey (probably CKUT or some other college station). That quarter I get a big cheque (well, a hundred bucks or so!), far out of proportion to the amount of airplay I ACTUALLY got, as they assume I am getting played more often since I showed up in the survey. But it makes up for all the quarters when my occasional radio play gets missed and I get nothing at all.

The only exception is the CBC, for which SOCAN logs everything. (This makes me *extremely* grateful to Laurie Brown, who is the only CBC DJ who actually programs my music!)

I hear you. Before the CBC programs got gutted, I was similarly grateful to Ross Porter and Katie Malloch. Laurie Brown is about the only one left who has a mandate to play anything that we are likely to write.

Christopher