I hate to throw cold water on this, and what I am saying does not detract
from anything previously said in this thread - composers should be paid for
their work obviously.

(And apologies if I have misunderstood the situation.)

But imagine this scenario.

A player comes to me with a request to play a particular piece which my
group does not possess. My limited budget is already spoken for, even if it
is not already spent.

I may well say to them, yes, so long as you provide the music.  This does
not imply any change of attitude on my part - composers should be paid, nor
does it make a value judgement on the piece - it's a question of finance
and/or priority.

All the best,

Lawrence
--