Ryan Beard wrote:
Working on a piece for large ensemble. The composer has a passage for woodwinds at forte.
Immediately after the WW finish, the brass comes in at mezzo piano. The composer has
marked "mp subito" in the brass parts, but I think the inclusion of subito is
unnecessary since the brass haven't been playing before this.What's your opinion?
I'd concur that the subito seems superfluous. However, my real opinion is that the proper course of action here is to tell the composer that your understanding of the use of "subito" was not consistent with his use at the point in question, and ask him to teach you (and that is the verb I'd actually use here) why he considered the word necessary. The possibilities are endless: he may actually have intended the marking to be someplace else; he may have meant some other modifier and put this one by mistake; or .....

ns