From: finale-boun...@shsu.edu [finale-boun...@shsu.edu] On Behalf Of David W.
Fenton [lists.fin...@dfenton.com]
Sent: 21 September 2009 00:20
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] smallest notebook for Finale?

On 20 Sep 2009 at 13:59, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

> All in all, though, except for installation, it's really a matter of
> semantics. From the specs, provided one has an external DVD drive with
> USB interface so that one can actually load the software, it appears to
> me that Finale should run reasonably well on the smallest Windows
> Netbook, although the screen size might make it a bit of a challenge.

I assumed when this discussion started that list readers already
understood the meaning of the term "netbook." But it's quite obvious
from the comments that they don't.

I can't see the point of those behemoth laptops that have full
keyboards. They are so huge and heavy that I would never carry one of
them anywhere (my laptop is nowhere near that huge and a pain to
carry even so). I don't understand why that class of machines exists.

Netbooks exist for the purpose of providing ultraportability at the
cost of serving as a desktop replacement. They are designed for light
computing duty, though today's computers are powerful enough that
this covers almost all the software that most people use regularly.

It doesn't include heavy-duty graphics or video editing, nor heavy-
duty audio, but as a machine to take with you on the road to print
out and tweak Finale scores, I think they are fine. No, the screens
are not large, but that's the whole point. If you can't give up the
large screen, then don't buy a netbook!