My play project for the weekend is to analyze the tempos of various
recordings of the Pachelbel Canon, and I figured I'd be able to do it
with a plugin for Audacity. I'm finding, however, that there are very
few beat detection plugins that are useful. I want one that will
analyze a selection of the waveform, but I can't find anything like
that. All the standalone apps for this autodetect from the first few
seconds and if there's too much silence at the beginning (as there is
for many of MP3s involved here), the detect nothing at all. And even
for the ones that "work" the numbers are just wrong.

It's quite clear to me that the available tools I found are not
designed to deal with Classical music.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do here?

I have a Beat Finder plugin in the ANALYZE menu, but when I run it, I
get a track at the bottom showing tempo change boundaries, but I
can't seem to get any information about the actual beats or their
BPMs, or anything else.

Is there a plugin that will do what I want, i.e., analyze a passage
and give me an average BPM?

Or am I stuck doing this manually (ugh!)?