On 26 Sep 2009 at 16:44, John Blane wrote:

> Don't know Audacity well enough but Pro Tools can do what you're
> looking for. If you want to tap along to determine tempo there is a
> plug-in for itunes available.

But this really wouldn't solve much of the problem at all. Sure
tapping is a *little* easier than using a stopwatch, but not by much.

I'm not interested in investing in ProTools -- I wouldn't use it
often enough for it to be justifiable.

> But that facility is already built into Finale. Look in the
> Hyperscribe tool and choose Playback or Click from the beat source menu

Er, with MP3 files? Why, exactly, would I have 16 different versions
of the same piece in Finale, differing only in tempo? I think you
quite obviously missed the context of my question.