On 27 Sep 2009 at 12:14, Peter Taylor wrote:

> << From: David W. Fenton
>
> My play project for the weekend is to analyze the tempos of various
> recordings of the Pachelbel Canon >>
>
> 8-\  Sad or what?

It's a great piece of music, so it's not sad at all.

And I've been quite surprised that it's quite easy to get interested
in the recordings, because there are a lot more interesting things
going on in them than you might expect.

I'm blogging the experience, in fact, at my blog:

  http://dfenton.com/NoComment/

So far, I've evaluated the earliest recordings I've been able to get
my hands on (the earliest is not available for MP3 download, and the
CD won't arrive until next week). I now have before me to analyze a
string of recordings from the 70s and 80s that have been widely
anthologized, and I'm anticipating this will be the low point, before
I then get to the 80s and the Early Music recordings.

I've actually been quite surprised at the things I've learned, and
couldn't wait to get back to it today when I got my "real" work done!