At 1:36 PM -0400 9/27/09, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 27 Sep 2009 at 10:21, Christopher Smith wrote:

I imagine (perhaps wrongly!) that the tempo might stay fairly solid for each section, but change from variation to variation, maybe with a connection to what kinds of subdivisions are in the top parts. David F., I hope you will point us to a link with your findings once you have worked it all out.

Hi, Christopher. I don't think that works for the Pachelbel. The variations are too short (just 8 notes in the ground) and too continuous, much like the contemporary and later French Rondeau. It would sound too much like "let's slow down on the hard parts"!

I'm not very far into to the project yet, and have mostly listened
carefully only to the earlier recordings (1960s, 1970s). I had
thought that the idea of Baroque style was fairly inflexible back
then, but what I'm finding is that this is just not true.

Don't forget that that was a transitional era in terms of performance practice, with Wili Apel and his opinions still alive and well as well as some pioneers like Noah Greenberg and John Reeves White exploring newer ideas on the performance side, and Arthur Mendel and Howard Meyer Brown on the theoretical side. And MANY people having trouble believing that whole notes could be performed as fast as 8th notes!

I hope you enjoy reading. I'd certainly like feedback -- though my
blog has no comments, you can email me via the link on the blog (or
via this email address).

Just one comment. I've read somewhere (and I wish I could remember where!) that Pachelbel was buddies with some of the finest players in Vienna, which has made me wonder whether the Kanon wasn't intended to be a real virtuoso piece, with those sections of running Italian ornamentation intended to be whipped off as showoff stuff. Some of us have played it too many times for weddings, where an entirely different affect is needed, but we could easily be wrong!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.