At 5:35 -0400 03/10/09, dhbailey wrote:
>A-NO-NE Music wrote:
>>
>>On 2009/10/02, at 18:18, Robert Lingnau wrote:
>>
>>>To answer your question: Yes, C MI 6 with the 6th in the bass is A MI7 (b5).
>>
>>They are not the same.  A-7(b5) dictates Locrian.  C-6 forces you to avoid
>>7th to voice, meaning the 7th will be b7th or natural 7th which will be a
>>choice for the improviser.
>>
>>Again, most important thing here is that 6 chord by definition tells you not
>>to voice the 7th.
>>

>Knowing of course that your expertise in these matters far exceeds mine, how
>exactly does any chord designation "force" anything on an improviser?  And how
>does A-locrian differ from C-dorian (which I would expect to be played over
>Cmin(maj6)) other than in the starting note?  Suggest, certainly, but force?

I agree with you that there is no difference.  I also do not use the chord
scale theory as a basis for improvisation nor in my playing neither in my
teaching, simply because I think good melodies are made of chord tones plus
non-harmonic tones, and those can be either diatonic or cromatic ones. Not all
notes of a melody need to be from the "chord scale". Also, there is no time in
improvisation, specialy when chords change fast, to play a full scale for each
chord; and picking up scale tones at random won't work either in building a
good melody.

>Avoiding the 7th in voicing the chord, leaving the choice of b7 or natural7 to
>the improviser, how would that differ between the two chord designations?
>Would someone really add a Bb or a Bnat to the A-7(b5)?  I guess they could
>add the 9th pretty easily, but so, too, could they add the Bb or Bnat in a
>Cmin(maj6)/A designation, couldn't they, since the A would be in the bass and
>thus farther away from where the Bb/Bnat would be voiced?

This is what I think. Considering you have a Cm6 chord, you can choose either
one of the 7ths in a melody. For instance if you play a descendig scalewise
group of notes from D to A the Bb sounds good; and if you play a rising group
from, say, C to Eb, the B natural will sound good also.

As for the chord, you never use a b7 in a min6 chord, but you could add a
Maj7th if the melody permits. For instance, if the melody is the root, you
don't use the Maj7th, but if the melody is the 9th, the added Maj7h would soung
good as in the chord C, A, Eb, G, B (rising from C) and a D in the melody.

Harold