At 9:51 -0400 03/10/09, Christopher Smith wrote:
>On Sat Oct 3, at SaturdayOct 3 9:03 AM, Haroldo Mauro Jr. wrote:
>
>> I also do not use the chord scale theory as a basis for improvisation nor in
>> my playing neither in my teaching, simply because I think good melodies are
>> made of chord tones plus non-harmonic tones, and those can be either
>> diatonic or cromatic ones. Not all notes of a melody need to be from the
>> "chord scale". Also, there is no time in improvisation, specialy when chords
>> change fast, to play a full scale for each chord; and picking up scale tones
>> at random won't work either in building a good melody.
>

>If you say that good melody notes can be diatonic or chromatic ones, then you
>use chord scale theory. Chord scale theory only tells us which notes are more
>likely to be considered as "diatonic" rather than "chromatic" and gives us an
>easy way to practice them. After a while, we just know them and don't worry
>about it much any more.
>
>Christopher

Unless I'm mistaken, chord scale theory says if you are in Cmaj you use C major
scale for CMaj7, dorian mode for Dm7 phrygian for Em7, lydian for FMaj7, etc.
What I say that all diatonic non-harmonic tones for all those chords come from
the C major scale. You build your improvisation with chord tones from those
chords plus passing tones, neighbooring tones, scale runs, whatever... from the
C major sale only, or cromatic notes. To say that the phrygian mode gives me
the diatonic notes for the Em7 chord in Cmajor is redundant, don't you think?

Harold