Dan Tillberg wrote:
Perhaps I am too new on this list. Only two years now. So excuse me if
this is your view.

But I think I can see a lot of criticism towards Finale and MakeMusic and
since I am not a shareholder of MakeMusic (just a simple customer paying a
lot of money!) I don't react too badly on this. Citicism might be good and
even developing if it is not just simple grumble. Sibelius is probably
also fine and Finale and MakeMusic might be as bad as many of you say.

But...isn't this forum ment to exchange great "technical" knowledge
regarding FINALE when having problems or trying to do things that are not
obviously documented or a bit...eh...uncommon?

Or is it a general forum that also should give room to express frustration
and anger with Finale, MakeMusic and the world and it's people as an
entity...in more general terms?

It's a discussion group for matters relating to Finale and thus to MakeMusic. If you want to gain technical knowledge about Finale, ask a question about some aspect of the program about which you wish to learn more.

If nobody asks a finale-specific question or raises a finale-specific issue then as most groups of humans will do, the conversation will stray onto other topics.

Regarding the postings about the supposedly upcoming update to Fin2010, the long-term users of this program have grown very frustrated with the fact that MakeMusic releases known buggy versions of the program with the "promise" to repair the most egregious bugs in an interim patch, which comes out anywhere from 2 to 8 months after the release. In effect, we end-users have become the final beta-testers, for which privilege we pay full retail upgrade prices. MakeMusic waits a bit to see which of the known bugs raise the largest outrage and complaints and then it fixes those and chooses to let the rest of the known bugs lie until it can get around to them. Some bugs have remained for many versions since not many people complain. That still doesn't lessen the major impact of those bugs on the people who encounter them, it just is a gambling game which MakeMusic plays in an attempt to reduce development costs while retaining the largest customer base it can.

And we've become bitter over the years as MakeMusic has become entrenched in this "annual upgrade to a new buggy version which will be slightly repaired in the interim update patch" business model, all the while Sibelius is on more of a 2-year "let's get it as correct as we possibly can before releasing the new version" business model. The tone of the two main on-line discussion groups for these two program is vastly different in regards to complaints about new versions and which bugs have been chosen to be fixed or not.

But the members of this group remain dedicated to Finale and I think I speak for all the members when I say that we will be very happy to discuss technical issues related to Finale when anybody raises them.

So if you have a question, ask away!  :-)

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com