David W. Fenton quoted my comment,:

If I recall correctly, I had a similar experience with an earlier version than 2007, perhaps 2002 or 2003, and finally determined that it was an unintended consequence of using the "9" key in speedy entry to hide an accidental.

and replied

Don't you mean "*" to show/hide the accidental? The 9 key flips the enharmonics, which is not going to hide an accidental (it will probably make it worse!).

to which I must confess a temporary parity error in the biological memory. Of course, I meant "*". And I should also note, that I neglected to consider that the OP might be using the MAC version.

ns