Dr. Howell,

I know that Kim did not mention a "graphical copyright", and in introducing the concept to the discussion I failed to use the proper term for the concept I meant, which is "typographical copyright". Many jurisdictions, including the UK, where the company is domiciled which is claiming infringement of copyright, make provision for this concept, wherein the actual layout of content on a printed page can be copyrighted, in their copyright law (cf. <http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law>, particularly paragraph 3 item v, and paragraph 6 item iv), but the US does not recognize the concept of typographical copyright, whether the copyright subsists in other countries or not. Your assertion

a lawful copyright in ANY country signatory to the applicable international treaties, it is under copyright in ALL such countries, including the U.S.

does not seem to be accurate, according <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_the_shorter_term#Situation_in_the_United_States>, part of which quotes 17 USC:

    /No right or interest in a work eligible for protection under this
    title may be claimed by virtue of, or in reliance upon; the
    provisions of the Berne Convention, or the adherence of the United
    States thereto. Any rights in a work eligible for protection under
    this title that derive from this title, other Federal or State
    statutes, or the common law, shall not be expanded or reduced by
    virtue of, or in reliance upon, the provisions of the Berne
    Convention, or the adherence of the United States thereto./ -- 17
    USC 104(c)

<http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_States_Code/Title_17/Chapter_1/Section_104>

Under the relevant provisions of 17 USC, my understanding agrees with yours that a piece of music in the public domain cannot be re-copyrighted; however, I understand that the efforts an editor applies to a work otherwise in the public comain in the US including, but not limited to, correcting mistakes, adding performance and interpretive instructions, adding underlay missing or incorrectly placed in the original, constitutes "original work of authorship" and is eligible for protection, even though the music itself to which the editorial content is applied is in the public domain. The issue of what constitutes original authorship is not, as far as I can tell, completely settled. I tend to doubt that merely changing clefs, key signatures, or durations (which seems to be the only basis for claim of copyright in some "editions" I have seen) would be found to be sufficiently original to earn a claim of copyright. I suspect that we would both agree that works by Charpentier, who died 305 years ago, are in the public domain in and of themselves, so the validigy of the claim of copyright on the edition under discussion would depend upon the amount of editorial content involved in the edition. I don't have any information on how much original authorship there is in the first page of the edition in question. Finally, I think my attitude does largely coincide with the attitudes of the administrators at CPDL. That attitude that is that any score hosted on the CPDL website which is found, upon investigation, to infringe copyright, is removed from CPDL. [NB: besides hosting scores directly, CPDL provides links to scores on other sites not under its control, and cannot remove scores on such sites]. But my attitude is also informed by the personal experience that a claim of infringement by a publisher is not ipso facto proof of infringement. I think most of the administrators of CPDL will agree that whether the specific score in question is infringing or not, that it should, and will be removed. Copyright in the US is an area where my view of morality and legality do not coincide nearly as closely as in some other areas; I think what the contributor of the page did is immoral, even if it were to be found that it does not violate copyright provisions, and is therefore legal, and I expect that the CPDL administrators will agree with that point of view as well.

ns