And going the other direction, too. If you are in wide view, nudge something and it goes too far, the intuitive thing to do (for my intuition at least!) would be to nudge it back, then zoom in and nudge it again. If it nudged the same distance in the score I would be complaining about it.

REALLY!? you mean when you are dealing with the look of the score you think it is better to change view percentages? in my view, it is best to do as much as possible at the same view so that what you see is on the same scale as much as possible. this ensures a much greater consistency. and you can work quicker, not having to zoom in and out and drag teh page as often. then for the few cases where you need a more fine view, you zoom in.

in my experience, the types of collisions that you need to move things for are very often on a similar scale (distance between items on score, not screen), therefore it seems to em to make sense that the default be to move by "score" distances.

for people who are less concerned than others about the real geeky details about positioning, or who prefer to approach this purely visually, there is the drag method. :-)

but i have spent a lot of time perfecting the auto-positioning of a range of expression categories and once placed in the score (at default positions) i nudge where possible, or type values into the positioning dialogue. then, if necessary, i drag, nudge or retype value, according to the circumstance.