On 12/22/2009 6:18 AM, SN jef chippewa wrote:
aaron, i wasn't able to do this, i even made sure to check it with a
font that is defined tonever be embedded in my acrobat distiller
settings.

I think you mean "always embedded", right? Also, this would only come into play with PDF, since EPS doesn't go through Distiller.

 can you gove me a bit more info on your setup and what
items are checked that allow you to edit text once exported in
EPS/PDF from finale?

I'm working in Fin2007 on Windows. I opened a score and did Graphics | Export Pages, type EPS, all PostScript options checked. Then I opened InDesign CS2 and placed the EPS file in a new document (File | Place).

I opened the EPS file in Illustrator CS2, used the text tool to change some of the text, and saved the EPS file back out, using the Illustrator defaults for EPS. The only wonky part here was that a word like "Title" actually became 2 bits of text in the EPS: "T" was one block, and "itle" was another. I could also use the select tool to delete text blocks.

In InDesign, I did File | Preflight, which showed that my image had been modified. I hit Update, and the image updated to show my changed text. (The Finale image also moved a bit within the EPS page image; not sure why, but there's probably a way around that.)

My InDesign and Illustrator settings are whatever the defaults are, because this is a new computer with a fresh install.

I hope that helps a bit. My other thought was that since you're only putting the text in Finale to give you a spacing guide, couldn't you just set the text font to Hidden in Finale? That way, it would appear lightly on the screen but wouldn't appear in the EPS/PDF at all.

Aaron.