On Sat Jan 2, at SaturdayJan 2 4:30 PM, SN jef chippewa wrote:

anyone have the sequenza handy and can cross-ref?

--

ok, i thought that there was a salzedo-sanctioned notaton for this.

the composer has said to block the pedal at natural(^) or natural (v), but if i understood chris right, these would produce two different pitches, either b or nat but never sharp? this means that there is a "breaking point" in the gliss where it shifts to the upper or lower note, correct?

there are two things here, for me. the playing and resulting sound. it might be justified to have a symbol (artic) to indicate that the sound buzzes, e.g. the Z on the stem sometimes used to indicate extremely fast tremolo. a friend mentioned that he thinks the Z is in fact used...

i am thinking -- in fact proposing -- that using a 1/4 sharp or 1/4 flat (maybe plus the Z-buzz symbol) would make sense as the standard notation that should be used for this. it would in this particular case. with 1/4-tone notation there is at least a half truth in the notation -- it specifically represent the "do", if but not the "hear" notation, because the actual 1/4-tone pitches do not really sound -- while a slashed accidental has no other standard notational meaning and is therefore entirely ambiguous without further explanation.

You have to look at a harp. The open string is a flat; to change it to a natural there is a disc with two little posts sticking out of it, like a two-tined fork, that twists when you put the pedal down and effectively makes the string a semitone shorter. The first half- pedal just gives you the open string with a buzz, not a quarter tone, unless the posts are out of adjustment and the back one touches before the front one, which would not really be very effective in sound anyway, and nowhere close to a 1/4 tone.

The second half-pedal buzzes the natural note, by 1/2 pedalling between the natural and sharp to engage the 2nd disc with two tines. This will give you the natural pitch.

If you want, say, a G# pitch to buzz, you won't get it on the G string. Write it as an Ab and 1/2 pedal it to Anat.

In all cases, the pitch is not really altered, just a buzz is added. There is little, if any, actual gliss effect if you change slowly between semitones.

BTW, there's a great example of this in one of the James Bond films, I think it is the first one, Goldfinger. Bond is sneaking around and there is this close-miked harp playing the characteristic theme (B, D, A, Ab, B, F, F#), very slowly in the med-low register, grinding every semitone until you think your teeth are coming loose. I was so impressed by this cue that I asked a harpist how it was done, and got the demonstration. I think they must have practically put the mic right on the harp.

Christopher