I've taught a Finale class (mostly glitch-free) for the past nine years, but
this year, there are two BIG glitches. I purchased and installed Fin2010 on the
11 Mac G5 towers. Everything seemed fine, until the first class period when
students created standard user accounts for their use. When they tried to open
Finale, they found that it begins loading (the blue rectangular box appears for
several seconds), but then quits. This behavior is limited to standard user
accounts - Finale opens and functions fine in administrator accounts.

I contacted Finale tech. support, who said that "Read and Write" permissions on
Finale needed to be enabled for all users. While I've never had to do this
previously, I enabled it on all machines. However, it made no difference. Tech
support is now saying that this is a problem with the OS, not Finale.

I thought that while this problem was being resolved, I'd have students get
started with Fin2009, which we used without problem last year. However, more
problems here. As with 2010, 2009 works fine in administrator accounts, but not
in standard user accounts. It does open, but MIDI keyboard note entry via
Simple and Speedy doesn't work. I can enter notes in Simple using the mouse. (I
do have "Use MIDI Device for Input" checked in both Simple and Speedy.)  Making
matters worse, using playback causes Finale to freeze and quit. Additionally,
MIDI device settings in the MIDI Setup utility (and consequently the settings
in MIDI/Audio>Device Setup>MIDI/Internal Speaker Setup) don't transfer from
administrator to standard user accounts. I have to set them up again.

We've already lost three class periods to these problems, and can't afford any
more. I'm going to have to allow students to operate in administrator accounts
until I get this resolved. If anyone has any suggestions regarding either
Finale or Mac OS 105.8 (since the machines are G5s, I can't run 10.6), I'd
appreciate them very much!

Ken Parsons

Technology Coordinator

School of Music