On Jan 22, 2010, at 1:02 AM, dc wrote:

In most cases, if you have a decent point-size for your lyrics, ignoring the lyrics simply won't give you enough space to do things correctly. In other words, you won't have "one or two measures" where the lyrics collide, but more likely 90% of your measures. The music will simply be too tight, unless, of course, you have very generous values in the music spacing options, or, as I said, very small lyrics.

In the paragraph you're responding to, I was referring specifically to music which is very melismatic, which is what I thought perhaps David F was dealing with. Another type of music where music spacing is best done with lyrics unchecked is where there's piano accompaniment that's consistently denser than the vocal line (eg, 16th notes in the piano against quarter notes in the voice).

I have various other techniques for generating layout and measure widths for music that needs more space for lyrics (which I've discussed at length on this list, some time in the distant past). I certainly didn't mean to suggest I'd leave lyrics to collide nor that I'd shrink them to tiny size in order to avoid it.

mdl