On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:33 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Why isn't this fixed in Finale? Surely it's something Sibelius does
by default, since it's so braindead wrong in Finale!

Can you describe algorithmically what you think the fixed program should do?

My feeling about lyric spacing is that it's an artificial intelligence type task which can't be easily formulized. Even if they redid the algorithm so that it was only considered a collision if the lyric collides with another lyric, as opposed to the horizontal position of a note with no syllable, you're still going to get sub-optimal results.

I couldn't even describe a feature that would result in lyrics that I wouldn't still go back and fuss with sometimes. (Though I could name several small improvements....)

mdl