Have you tried creating a staff style that breaks the barline between staves as well? That should override the grouping issue. You may need to apply a staff style to two staves. First create a staff style that unchecks barlines and break bars between staves. Apply that to the staff in question. Then to the staff below that, apply a style that just breaks the barline. I'm away from my finale computer so there might be a simpler way, but this is where I would start.