This thread is a wonderful example of the value of off-topic discussion.  As
a horn player occasionally doing shows and as such being faced with modern
"swing" repertoire I recognise my limitations in this field - sitting next
to a trumpeter and playing exactly the same notes and rhythm, he sounded
like jazz, I sounded like a french horn player doing his damndest.

As one-time director of an early music group and current director of a
student baroque orchestra I welcome the comments here and have learned a
great deal already.

Maybe I would go as far as to say that I learn more from the off-topic stuff
than from the finale posts.

Long may they continue!

Cheers,

Lawrence (the eternal student, even at 56 years old)

--
Lawrenceyates.co.uk