On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Florence + Michael wrote:

On 17 Mar 2010, at 21:28, Andrew Stiller wrote:
There's at least one exception to that. In an early-19th c. French book about the proper pinning of barrel organs, there's a detailed illustration of the pinning for a barrel to play the overture to "The Marriage of Figaro." When the illustration is transcribed into MIDI and played back, the music turns out to be in very distinct (and rapid) notes inégales.

Fascinating. Do you know where I could find a copy of that MIDI file?

I was speaking very loosely. The research I mentioned was done in the 1970s by David Fuller, who published an article on it at the time. Accordingly, the computer work involved can't have been MIDI, but an earlier type of music sound synthesis, working from an intermediate stage in which the measurements from the pinning diagram were converted into numbered pitches and durations. The resulting sound "file" would have been a reel-to-reel tape, recorded from the playback of a stack of punch cards. The tape may well have totally decayed by now.

The inequality was applied at the sixteenth note level, the weak notes being just a tiny bit longer than 1/2 the duration of the strong notes.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/