At 1:57 PM +0200 3/28/10, dc wrote:
Is there a standard (Italian?) term used as a heading for a piece that has no title, in the context of a work where all the other movements have a title?

Allemande
Courante
[???]
Sarabande
etc.

Thanks,

Dennis

Those are all dance movements, of course. A non-dance movement will normally have a tempo/mood indication, and that's what I would use for it. (And have used in the past.) The dance titles themselves give both tempo and mood information, of course, at least when one knows the dances and the range of tempos for them.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.