On 18 Apr 2010 at 18:56, Ryan Beard wrote:

> Perhaps I should clarify my situation. I'm engraving a piece for
> organ
>  by a dead composer. He has marked dynamics in the music. Sometimes
> there's one marking under the top staff only. Sometimes there's a
> marking under all three staves. Sometimes there's a marking above
> the top staff only, because I assume there wasn't any room to put it
> elsewhere.

To me, most of the comments have been spot on for this situation --
you have a MS and no way to definitively recover the intentions of
the composer.

> Since I don't have much experience with organ music, I don't know if
> the placement of the dynamics is the result of a lazy copyist (very
> likely considering other aspects of the MS), or if the dynamics mean
> something specific to the performer when placed in a particular
> location.
>
> I'd prefer to place the dynamics consistently throughout the whole
> work. There are no indications for the stops.

While the dynamics may seem "inconsistent" to you, they may be
completely consistent with what the composer intended. Now, you may
choose to move all dynamics applying to the top staff underneath the
staff (but not halfway between the top two staves), but that's not
really changing anything. On the other hand, placing a dynamic
marking that is only above the top staff in the MS halfway between
the top two staves implies that the dynamic marking applies to both
staves. To me, that is more likely than not a *change* to the
copyist's (if not the composer's) intent.

I would suggest you make a list of the places where you perceive
"inconsistency" and ask an experienced organist to evaluate them. My
bet is that some of them will not be seen as inconsistencies at all.

But one caveat about what I'm suggesting about fidelity to the MS:

I would consider it desirable in printed music to have the dynamic
markings uniformly aligned vertically, rather than haphazardly placed
(e.g., above the staff sometimes and below at others). But I would
also be careful not to imply things that aren't intended, e.g.,
placing a marking in a location such that what originally clearly
applied to one staff now appears to apply to more than one. In other
words, some inconsistencies in the original MS are likely incidental,
and don't mean anything, while others are significant.

The hard part is distinguishing the two, and I have found that modern
editors want to regularize everything so that dynamic markings are
vertically consistent. I think this tendency to regularize things
vertically (particularly dynamics transferred between instruments in
an orchestral score, and, likewise, transferred between staves of an
organ part that may be different stops) should be resisted, and all
the "inconsistencies" retained. The most significant parts subtleties
of the composer's work may be found in those seeming
"inconsistencies" (such as would be the case with careful balancing
of instrumental groups with different simultaneous dynamic markings),
and it would be a shame to wash away those niceties in a futile
search for engraver's consistency.