It's not offense. It's just that we want to avoid confusing non- tubists at all costs. We know what THAT can lead to...

Christopher

On Tue May 11, at TuesdayMay 11 9:20 AM, Williams, Jim wrote:

[humor] OK, there seems to be some offense here that I called the
thing an octave key. Perhaps this is because my academic degrees are
in Finance and Foreign Languages rather than music.
In recognition of my lack of music training (my only lessons were at a
major conservatory with a distinguished professor) I will henceforth
refer to the object in dispute here as "the valve I push down when I
am playing notes from f in the bass staff down to b in the bass staff
and I want to blow differently (which puts me on a lower member of the
overtone series) and get the note an octave lower." [/humor]

Sent from my iPhone, so please pardon all the typos.

On May 11, 2010, at 8:40 AM, "Christopher Smith" <christopher.sm...@videotron.ca