At 9:32 AM +0200 5/29/10, dc wrote:
I have a piece in "rondeau" form ABACADAEA, where A is only written out the first time in the source, the repeats being marked by a "Da Capo".

But since I can't possibly get it to fit on two pages, so I have several solutions to limit the number of page turns to one, the best of which would seem to be:

ABCD on 2 facing pages
EA on the third page

In the case of a 3-page part with reference back to the beginning, I would use accordion-fold, printed 1 side, not booklet form. That way all 3 pages can lie open on the stand. Conventional commercial usage.

My question: assuming all the Da Capo marks at the end of B, C and D, have a double bar, as I believe is the rule, how do I let the player know the piece goes on after D? In other words, is there any conventional way to distinguish between the last Da Capo and the others?

Well, if you have the last Da Capo written out (which is what your outline shows), it's no longer a Da Capo, right? You might want to put a rubric like "Keep playing to the end" just to be perfectly clear for sightreading.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.