Why would there be "serious issues" with the new iMacs? I haven't heard a peep
about any problems, and I frequent about 10 Mac devoted sites in addition to
sites like Engadget......

I'd say, whatever you get, get lots of RAM. Using sampled sounds without enough
ram will make even a Mac Pro slow to a crawl. At least 4 gigs if not Maxed out.
I'd recommend MacSales.com as a good, cheap source of ram with lifetime
warranties (and I had to use my warranty recently, and they were perfect)