On Jul 5, 2010, at 6:58 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 4:14 PM -0700 7/5/10, Ryan wrote:
What's the best way to label a woodwind part that doubles?

Piccolo & 3rd Flute
or
Piccolo/3rd Flute
or
Piccolo (also 3rd Flute)

Does the top one imply that two players are needed? Does the middle one imply that one of the instruments is optional? (i.e. If you don't have a
piccolo, you can play it on flute).

Interesting. I wouldn't have drawn the distincions you have, but I think you're right about them. The second one looks to me like the most common format, and no, I wouldn't read it as saying that one instrument is optional. If that's actually the case, you should say so: Piccolo/optional 3rd Flute.

Is there another way to label that would be better?

Not that I can think of at the moment. Of course I would put 3rd Flute first in order unless the part is mostly piccolo. (Kind of like ingredients on food labels!)

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.

I have opened my soul/To let in the warmth of sound/Now my saving grace
Adrian Estabrook, author

Dean M. Estabrook
http://sites.google.com/site/deanestabrook/