At the moment I'm editing a cantata by Telemann written for a funeral in 1722
which calls for one "oboa d'amore", which sent me running to Johann Gottfried
Walther, who writes (Musicalisches Lexikon, 1732) that the oboe d'amore
"appeared around 1720". He continues "it resembles the oboe in almost every
detail, except for the foot joint, which is closed, with a small finger-sized
opening. The range is from "a" to "a2"...". So (for once) Wikipedia would seem
to be about right. (Probably) also with regard to "engellisches Horn" and the
etymology of "english horn".
Eric

On 07.07.2010, at 05:36, John Howell wrote:

> But when the characteristic bell-shape that gives the E.H. (and the modern
> oboe d'amore) its characteristic sound first turned up, I don't know.  It was
> certainly not used in Bach's time, when the alto oboe in F was called
> "Taille" or "oboe da caccia" (and there, probably is the association with the
> hunting horn, or corno da caccia), and had, in at least one museum
> instrument, a brass-instrument-like flaring bell.

Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
www.habsburgerverlag.de
eric.f.fied...@t-online.de
e.fied...@em.uni-frankfurt.de