Ryan wrote:
If there's no oboe in the orchestra (pit orchestra), what's the next best
choice to tune to? Muted trumpet? Ha. In all seriousness; Clarinet? Flute?
According to the League of American Orchestras, The penetrating tone of the
oboe is easy for all players to hear, and its ability to sustain pitch is
very
secure.<http://www.americanorchestras.org/utilities/about_the_orchestra.html>
By
those criteria, I should pick the instrument in the group that is easiest to
hear and is most stable. Of course, the volunteer community musician playing
that instrument has to be capable to sustain the pitch!
I doubt there's one clear answer, just wondering what you all do in similar
situations.

Many amateur bands use clarinet because the principal clarinetist is more capable of sustaining the pitch than the oboist.

Seriously, though, why doesn't everybody have their instrument already tuned when they unpack it and start warming up? It's not as though perfectly capable automatic tuners are beyond anybody's financial reach these days.

One more thought -- depending on the keyboard you're using, you might need to use that as the standard as it may be higher or lower than the standard pitch and so people should tune to that, so make sure that whomever you select to sound the tuning note for the group to use, have them match their pitch with the keyboard, if one is being used.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com