At 1:26 PM -0400 7/7/10, Christopher Smith wrote:
On Wed Jul 7, at WednesdayJul 7 1:11 PM, John Howell wrote:

Absolutely. Case in point: we're in rehearsal for our annual summer musical (The Pajama Game, 1954), and the string books are filled with pizz., arco, con sordino, and senza sordino markings that ARE NOT CANCELLED! We're having to make it up as we go along.

Heh heh! That's more than likely from the arranger's actual score. We arrangers (blush!) are notorious for putting specialty techniques in (like mutes and pizz) and then forgetting to cancel them. I have to make a special pass through the score just to check for those markings, because I always forget to cancel them.

Yeah. Me too. I don't always write straight through, and might well jump from place to place and then go back and fill in, so I have to do exactly the same. And no matter how many times you check, the number of errors will always be n + 1.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.