This was on the NY Times website today (I didn't see it in the
printed paper):

http://tinyurl.com/29wzmx9 =>
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/no-easy-answers-in-the-
copyright-debate/

It refers to a blog post from a Broadway composer, Jason Robert
Brown, and his interaction with a teenager who felt it was her right
to download his music.

On my FaceBook page I made this comment:

I did find the quotation from Michael Hawley of MIT to be extremely
problematic. There is no issue with public domain sheet music, but
many public domain editions are inferior to the new ones that are
under copyright. The availability of the public domain editions will
serve to depress the market for new, improved editions.

But there's also a real... See More issue with the Classical music
world that the vast majority of the standard repertory that people
want to play is over 100 years old, and the original editions in the
public domain. There just isn't that much new music that's getting a
wide audience.

Broadway is a completely different animal, of course, so the
comparison made by Hawley seems to me to be completely inapplicable.