From: dhbailey <dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 05:45:08 -0400
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Finale] OT: Copyright and downloadable music

> The same attitude goes for people wanting to download
> copyrighted music without the copyright owners' permission,
> as if we have an inherent right as Americans (or maybe even
> as human beings) to be able to listen to or perform any and
> all music ever written and never have to help the composers
> earn a living so they can write more great music.

Let¹s be fair about things here. Yes, there¹s a problem with people who
believe that just because the internet makes it easy, they¹re entitled to
whatever they want without paying. But you also have to take into account
the almost psychopathic pursuit of every conceivable penny in the name of
copyright by various record labels, trade associations, and collections
societies.

Just a few examples:

ASCAP requires Girl Scouts to pay a license to sing campfire songs

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/08-96/08-23-96/b02li056.htm

ASCAP calls ringtones "public performances" -  wants to be paid every time
your phone rings.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/ascap-wants-be-paid-

Woman who plays classical music in her stables to soothe horses is told she
must get a public performance license. (Apparently anything with ears
constitutes an "audience" for copyright purposes.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5061004/Woman-who-pl
ays-classical-music-to-soothe-horses-told-to-get-licence.html

Mechanics were sued because the radios they listened to while working on
cars might be heard by customers, which is similar to another case where the
police themselves were threatened with legal action if they didn't stop
playing radios in police stations where the criminals they arrest could hear
them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7029892.stm

http://torrentfreak.com/police-chief-faces-high-court-anti-piracy-action-120
608/

The Irish collection society PPI claims that since hotels provide radios and
televisions in the guest rooms, they need to pay a performance right fee on
the usage of those devices.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0319/1224266596757.html

And finally, a shop clerk who liked to sing to herself while she stocked the
shelves in her grocery store was threatened with legal action for not paying
for a license to do so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/8317952.stm

And these aren't isolated cases of egregious behavior. This has become
standard operating procedure for RIAA, ASCAP, BMI, PRS, PPL, etc. There are
dozens of other examples I could cite, each more ridiculous than the next.
What makes it all the more disgusting is that they do this nonsense and
claim it's all to benefit the artists they represent, but a good percentage
of the artists themselves never get paid.

It's this sort of draconian, heavy-handed thuggish approach to copyright
that's turning off an entire generation of people from respecting it. They
see stuff like this happening and it instills in them a feeling that if the
big copyright industry can act like total amoral asshats, then it's okay to
give them a little of it back. In days past, there was nothing the
individual could really do about it, but now the internet has given them the
power to do it en masse and it's starting to hit home.