Dr. Howell,

Just a technical point: while Blake Richardson, the author of the post to which you responded, did, indeed, quote David Bailey, Blake was the author of the bit of the post post to which you responded, not David.

The problems arising from attitudes towards copyright (and I would note that not a single one of the items Blake linked to actually deal with copyright, but rather without exception they deal with the slightly different area of performance rights) are complex, partly because of the different laws and regulations in different jurisdictions, and partly because of the sheer numbers of players involved, and I submit that one of the necessary predicates of that complexity is the fact that there is no single, simple answer to the problem, and indeed, not even a short list of causes.

ns