Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

I'm just using the basic "play Finale through Midi" setting.

More details, please, about your "play Finale through MIDI" settings. What are you using as a playback device, softsynth (whose), or some other method? For example, I've got Finale 2010 on WIN XP SP3 set up to playback through MIDI, but the MIDI playback is through a USB audio device. If through a USB audio device, is the device plugged directly into the machine, or is it through a hub?

If the document is closed and re-opened, it will play again.

Does the same behavior occur with all documents, or only specific one(s)? If you have any earlier version of Finale installed, what happens if you save one of the offending files as a MIDI file, load it into the earlier version, and try to play it back? What happens if you load a document into an earlier version, save it as a MIDI file, load the MIDI file into 2010, and try to play it back?

At some point recently, MakeMusic changed the MIDI engine, and I have problems with MIDI files which play correctly in earlier versions, and do not play correctly in 2010. In my case, the issue is not a playback lag; if multiple voices are assigned to the same MIDI channel, not all "MIDI" off signals get processed correctly, so I wind up with "tone clusters" which do not terminate when the piece ends. The only option is to turn off the (external, USB connected) device, and turn it back on.

ns