Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

Yes, USB audio (Saffire Pro-40), directly into the machine. Other devices go
through the hub.

What happens if you playback through an external device through the Saffire pro-40, like a digital keyboard, or ...?

If you have any earlier version of Finale installed, what
happens if you save one of the offending files as a MIDI file, load it
into the earlier version, and try to play it back? What happens if you
load a document into an earlier version, save it as a MIDI file, load
the MIDI file into 2010, and try to play it back?

I have Finale 97, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007 also installed, but what will that
reveal?

If you save the file which is giving problem with the playback as a MIDI file, and load the MIDI into an earlier version, if playback is the same there as it is in 2010, then there is likely something in the file itself. If, on the other hand, the MIDI plays back without the time lag issues in 2005 (just to pick one from the list), then you know that the problem is likely not in the file. Saving a MIDI in an earlier version, loading that MIDI into 2010, and playing back is another way to determine that it is something in the software (or your settings), and not in a specific file. And since

This problem occurs in Speedy note entry as well, where the playback
of the input note will occur with an increasing delay until either I can't
stand it anymore, it just stops playing the entered note, or I re-open the
document. (It is correctly saving audio files, but they aren't in real time.)

I suspect it is the settings, somewhere, but that is about the limit of my skillset with respect to MIDI. FWIW, on my system, where I am as yet unaware of the problems you are having with MIDI (I've not yet had problems with latency on speedy entry, for example), under the MIDI/Audio menu, in the device setup menu, the "MIDI through" menu item is checked, and the "smart" radio button is selected in the "MIDI throught" menu.

I'd be curious to know if you get the same problems with simple entry.

I know what causes the MIDI problems I have with 2010 are entirely regarding the MIDI playback subsystem not properly processing "note off" messages; I have no problem with either simple or speedy entry.

ns