When I want the articulation above I use my above definition/metatool. When I want it below, I use my below one.

But I never need to enter one articulation and have the software choose for me.

well that is kind of the point, that is exactly what this function offers. for example, staccato on note side when 1 layer, but auto-position will reposition it above layer 1 and below layer 2 where there are multiple voices.

definition of 1 artic rather than 2. don't see how you can argue that that isn't great. i have a few cases of multiple artics of course as well (accent that sits a bit further from the notehead to avoid collisions with slurs that IMO should be done by the software automatically) but i don't see any reason not to reduce the number of artics if built-in functionality allows for it.