On 29-Oct-10, at 29-Oct-10  7:08 AM, David H. Bailey wrote:

On 10/29/2010 2:42 AM, dc wrote:
David H. Bailey écrit:
MusicXML export works wonderfully from Finale, and Sibelius comes with
the ability to import MusicXML built-in, so it's really a very
painless and pretty accurate process these days.

I don't know about the latest version, but I bought Sibelius 5 at the
time and converted several files this way (using the Dolet plug-in for better results). Of course, the notes are all there, but it's hours and hours of work to get the file to look anything like it did in Finale. So if you have thousands or even hundreds of Finale files, you can forget
this idea...

On the other hand, it seems that with some new versions of Finale, the same can be said upon opening older Finale files, so I'm not sure that's an argument against using Sibelius and converting your Finale files. But you can always keep your current Finale installations to work on, edit, print those existing files and create your new files in Sibelius.

In your first sentence, David, you have nailed it. However, in the Mac world, older versions of Finale will not run on newer versions of the Mac operating system, so keeping older versions of Finale installed becomes less and less of an option as time wears on. This is why I am trying to put pressure on MakeMusic to have better importation of old files.

Christopher