Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

What is the easiest way in which to create a measure which is without a
time signature, and in which I can place as many durations as I please,
and which will not count as Measure One? This is for an incipit at the
beginning of a motet.

What I've done is to define a staff style which does not show the time signature, and applied it only to the first measure; then change the time signature of the first measure to one which will accommodate the number of beats neaded; then isolate the measure containing the incipit from the balance of the work by means of measure number regions. I can set this up in less time than it took to describe it.

ns