On 12/8/2010 8:53 PM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
Well, he had two questions. How to rip stuff into avi format and then
upload to YouTube. I'd also agree with previous statements that avi is
a dead end for video, and that mp4 format is better all around.

Well, AVI is just a container format, not an encoding format. You can have a low quality video contained in an AVI file or a high quality one. I believe it's true that the AVI container does not work well with H.264/AVC, which is currently the hot codec, but I've got lots of good AVIs with high-bitrate videos encoded with DivX/Xvid, and they look great.

Technically, MP4 is also just a container format, not a codec, although for most people it's synonymous with the H.264/AVC codec. It's possible to have an MP4 file which contains crappy video.

Also, I think the AVI container continues to have a higher penetration because Windows Media Player can play an AVI but cannot play an MP4. There are, of course, plenty of free Windows players that do play MP4s, but they don't usually come pre-installed on Windows.

Aaron.