On 12/8/2010 11:15 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
The same video in AVI format was 250MBs, while in MPG, 60MBs, MP4,
25MBs, and so forth. This is all with the same video quality and
higher audio quality in the MPG and MP4 formats.

This has not been my experience. In ripping DVDs and MPEGs with Handbrake and other tools, AVI/DivX has been about the same size as MP4/H.264. If you got that big a file size discrepancy, I suspect that either you had different settings or were using an inefficient codec for the AVI.

Aaron.