On 12/8/2010 11:19 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
You're mistaken, Aaron. Windows Media Player plays MP4 -- I just
tried it (WinXP SP3 -- can't tell what version of WMP I have, as it
has a nonstandard UI that doesn't have an ABOUT box anywhere I can
find).

I'm on WinXP SP3 with WMP 11 (right click on the black title bar, chose Help | About Windows Media Player), and it won't play MP4. It won't accept MP4s dragged onto it, and MP4s don't show up in the list of playable files when I do File | Open. There are add-ons and external codecs and such that you can install that will allow WMP to play MP4, but those can get complicated.

Also, <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992> says "Windows Media Player does not support the playback of the .mp4 file format."

Aaron.