Yes, and the main reason is that a centred semibreve rest is practically
identical to a semibreve rest on the second semibreve of a 4/2 bar. This is
extremely confusing in contrapuntal writing, especially (but not
exclusively) if multiple (two or three) voices are written on a single
staff.

Andrew

Andrew Moschou
Secretary