On 1/14/2011 11:18 AM, Andrew Moschou wrote:
Yes, and the main reason is that a centred semibreve rest is practically
identical to a semibreve rest on the second semibreve of a 4/2 bar. This is
extremely confusing in contrapuntal writing, especially (but not
exclusively) if multiple (two or three) voices are written on a single
staff.

Yes, but now we've gotten away from Darcy's statement about a centered whole rest being unambiguous in an otherwise empty bar, with which I agree. It's perfectly clear that if it's the only thing, it's obviously a "whole measure" rest -- nobody has a problem with it being in a 2/4 bar or a 3/4 bar and being confusing.

But once you bring in the possibility of it being in a bar with other voices on a single staff, that bar is no longer "otherwise empty" and other steps must be taken to make sure that one of the voices has a full measure of silence.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com