On 15 Jan 2011, at 01:52, David W. Fenton wrote:

4/4+3/4 in a repeating pattern, and that would require time signature
changes in the score (whether you displayed them or not),

I've dealt with even this by having 7/4 bars, dotting the intermediate barlines down the parts with notes in them and faking the signature to 4+3/4.

I'm not sure I'd finger Finale's problems with being measure-based
here for the issue, as I think creating countable rests is something
that transcends the issue of how the stuff is notated. As I said, I
don't know how you rehearse without measure numbers...

Like many composers, I encountered a 'barline crisis' and wrote a bit without. I came to the conclusion that players and listeners divide simple things up anyway and complex rhythms tend to easily
overcome the 'tyranny'.

Steve P.