It's not that difficult. Try giving your viol ensemble facsimiles of the
original parts (without barlines of course) and then — while playing — each
player marks and/or _remembers_ the main cadences, which are then used as
rehearsal marks. You can be pretty sure that this is the way they did it back
in the good old days — and (very) occasionally one finds such markings in the
parts. That there are not more of these is surely due to the fact that (1)
musicians seem to have seldom carried pencils or other writing instruments with
them, and (b) they had better memories than we do, living in an only partially
alphabetized world.
I have been using this trick for years with my ensembles — even with children —
and it works perfectly. We've taken to calling such markings "now places"
("Jetzt-Stellen"), as someone, usually the leader, has to shout "now!".
Cheers!
Eric
Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
www.habsburgerverlag.de
eric.f.fied...@t-online.de
e.fied...@em.uni-frankfurt.de