I've been dipping into Gould's book since I received it about a week ago. I
would certainly recommend it: I have found answers to almost all the questions
I could think of, although sometimes it may not be immediately evident where to
look. For "unisons" there are 14 different pages or page regions referenced in
the index: in fact the second one led me to "dotted unisons", which covers the
questions you asked and more (what to do with dotted unisons on ledger lines,
for instance).

I don't have the courage to read the book from cover to cover, but I shall keep
dipping in, either more or less at random or prompted by a particular question.
I'll let you all know if I find anything that shocks me, or if I _don't_ find
something that I think ought to be in there. For the moment I'm very impressed.

Michael