At 5:16 PM -0700 3/24/11, Mark D Lew wrote:

does this word actually exist?

Technically, yes, it does exist. In Italian, "rubato" is an adjective, and if that adjective happens to be modifying a plural (and masculine) noun, it does indeed become "rubati" (as in "gioielli rubati").

However, you are intending it as a noun. "Rubato" only becomes a noun in English, so if you want to pluralize it, you should give it an English plural: rubatos.

Agreed that one should use the English plural, but I would argue that it is STILL being used as an adjective, even though the noun it modifies is understood and unstated: "tempo rubato"; "tempi rubati." And I think my mom, the language teacher, would have argued similarly.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.