At 11:54 PM -0500 3/25/11, Aaron Rabushka wrote:
...but it is sometimes neVAYduh, MO (with either mizzuREE or mizzurUH trailing along)
Aaron J. Rabushka
arabus...@austin.rr.com

Yes, distinctive regional pronunciations will always be with us. They always seem like distortions to outsiders (which in a way seems to be the whole point--separating "us" from "them"!).

All my geography teachers--and almost all TV talking heads--pronounce the mountain range about which Copland wrote (or didn't!) as Ap-pa-lay-chan. But the folks who actually live here in that mountain range pronounce it as Ap-pa-laa-chan (same vowel as the initial vowel).

A nearby small town, Pulaski, is pronounced Pew-LAS-ki.

And of course there's the famous Cairo, Illinois, whence the famous syrup, "Kay-ro."

Americans, quite aside from the inevitable regional dialects, have a deserved reputation as terrible linguists, since the same language is spoken (admittedly in different ways) across an entire continent. Unlike in Europe, where when you travel you have to switch languages every 3 hours! But I can't see much of a reason to take PRIDE in mispronouncing words borrowed from other languages.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.